Friday, November 12, 2010

Parts of an Essay

Alright, so for my classmates today, I plan to keep this short and sweet. I know you look at what I write and such, but don't repsond because it's so long. I agree with you. I wouldn't even read my own work. So, today, I'm going to try to not write a lot...

One of the readings for class, that we even talked about, was about parts of an essay. These parts include the title, thesis, intro, transitions, and the conclusion. From these readings, I learned that the title should help the writer stay on topic, be related to the topic the writer is writing about, tell the reader something the paper is going to be about, grab attention of a possible reader, be specific, and be aware of tone, audience, and style. P ersonally, I have the most trouble being creative for a title that will grab someone's attention and also tell what the paper will be on. For me, you can't have it both ways...

Next up is the most difficult part of the essay, and most important. It is the thesis. The thesis is the main argument that is often in the introduction, but does not have to be. It can be in the second paragraph, or even the last one. It must be a complete, detailed and specific sentence that is an opinion, something arguable and debateable, not a fact.

The first paragraph is called the introduction. This serves to formally introduce the argument, usually containing the thesis. This paragraph sets tone for rest of paper, and provides background information. Some possible ways to start this paragraph is with an anecdote, quote, data, or a question. It is important that it grabs the reader's attention, because the reader can choose to stop reading at any point. It can be multiple paragraphs long. To be honest, I have the most trouble starting the intro and incorporating my thesis in it. I usually go with a quote.
Next up are transitions. These make the writing flow smoothly, and are kept clear and concise. They guide the readers and connect words or phrases in a sentence. A few of my favorite transition are: Moreover, furthermore, nevertheless, on the contrary....Actually, I just love them all. I know, I'm weird for saying that, but transitions are probably the most fun things to use in the essay and write. Plus, they make you sound like an expert, and smarter than you are. I like sounding scholarly.
Lastly, there is the conclusion. This paragraph is the final one. It serves to wrap up the essay, but not in a way that it repeats the introduction. It acts as a summary, and influences the reader in some way, making an impression on them to act on an issue or change their thoughts or writing style, for example.  My old English teacher told me once, that the final sentence of your essay, needs to be a call to action, something short and sweet (unlike how this blog has become).
Well, that's what I've learned this week, and hopefully you did too. Guess I didn't stay true to my word on keeping it short. Sorry guys! But hey, it was informative.

Check out somet of these links for my help and info on writing an essay:
There are so many sites out there for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment